Join partners of The Way Home in observing World Homeless Weekend 2020!
Each year on October 10, cities across the globe observe World Homeless Day. Its purpose is to draw attention to the needs of people experiencing homelessness and provide opportunities for communities to get involved in responding to this urgent humanitarian issue. This is perhaps more important this year than ever as we know that people experiencing homelessness are uniquely vulnerable to COVID-19.
Because of the commitment of the 100+ partners of The Way Home to solving homelessness in Harris, Fort Bend, and Montgomery counties, we are expanding the concept to World Homeless Weekend and we hope you will join us!
This year’s World Homeless Weekend will take place from October 9-11, 2020. We are inviting congregations, faith groups, and others to “do one thing” over the weekend to raise awareness and create engagement. Participation ideas could be as simple as:
- including a special prayer in the weekend worship service,
- taking a special offering to donate to a homeless service agency
- inviting a speaker from a local service agency to talk with their congregation about homelessness,
- collecting goods to donate to a homeless service agency
- organizing a volunteer activity for congregation/group members,
- making “survival kits” for people living on the street, or
- sharing information about homelessness with your congregation.
(We acknowledge that, at this time, we don’t know what social distancing requirements will be in place come October. Rest assured, we will find ways to observe World Homeless weekend safely.)
Since 2012, partners of The Way Home have reduced homelessness by 54%, housed more than 18,000 people, and become a national model on how to solve homelessness. But there is still much work to be done. We hope you will join us in this effort!
To confirm your participation, click here to register. For more information on World Homeless Weekend, contact Morgan Dickson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Catherine Villarreal at email@example.com.
The more people who join us, the larger light we can shine on homelessness. Please join us to make an enormous collective impact across our community by opening eyes, influencing hearts and minds, and creating avenues for engagement and involvement!
- Christ the King Lutheran Church
- Christ the Servant Lutheran Church
- Congregation Beth Yeshurun
- Congregate Emanu El
- Covenant Church
- First Cumberland Presbyterian Church
- First Unitarian Universalist Church of Houston
- Houston Congregation for Reform Judaism
- South Main Baptist Church
- St. John the Divine
- St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
- St. Philip Presbyterian Church, Houston
- Temple Sinai
- The Church of St. John the Divine
- Trinity East United Methodist Church
- Trinity Episcopal Church
- Unity of Houston